Monday, April 13, 2009

"Doing"

For my doing portion of the Internet Safety assignment I went and talked to my high school friend.  She is a mother of two little boy, who are both very aware of how to use the computer.  They know how to get onto their favorite games on the Internet and one of the boys just learned how to take pictures and download onto the computer.  I told her what I had learned and she was shocked.  She also realized that her sons see her on the computer all the time and that she needs to set a good example for them and not chat online.  She also went and put in a netnanny and she talked to her sons about using the computer.  Her final step in protecting her sons was moving their computer from the office into the kitchen so that she can watch what they are doing.   I think that by informing her I made her more aware.  It also helped me realize that just because they are little boys doesn't mean they are protected from the bad things online.  I hope that when I am a mom I can take the same steps to help my children become technology smart and Internet safe.  

1 comment:

  1. Great! - it sounds like your discussion with her helped her to take some action.

    ReplyDelete